jQuery is a unified, HTML5-based user interface system for all popular mobile device platforms, built on the jQuery and jQuery UI foundation. Its lightweight code is built with progressive enhancement, and has a flexible, easily themeable design. It is becoming the most popular touch-optimised web development framework for sites that target mobile devices.
jQuery Mobile Web Development Essentials (ISBN: 978-1-84951-726-3) is written by Raymond Camden and Andy Matthews. It weighs in at just over 200 pages plus index, and covers the use of the jQuery mobile library for developing web sites that specifically target mobile devices. It is divided into 13 chapters:
- Preparing your First jQuery Mobile Project
- Working with jQuery Mobile Pages
- Headers, Footers, and Toolbars
- Working with Lists
- Building a Simple Hotel Mobile Site
- Working with Forms
- Modal Dialogs, Grids, and Collapsible Blocks,
- Working with Events
- The Notekeeper Mobile Application
- Working with Themes
- Using PhoneGap to Create Native Applications
- The RSS Reader application
If you have spent any time working with the jQuery Mobile documentation online, you are unlikely to find any additional insight within this book. However, if you are looking for a basic grounding in the framework and prefer the portability and convenience of a book, this might be the title for you.